Fleas And Ticks On Cats: Effects, Treatment & Prevention


The tiny blood-sucking creatures called fleas and ticks can cause big health hazards in your cat. It’s essential for you to know how to keep your feline family member free from fleas and ticks.

Fleas and Ticks in Australia

Fleas are a commonly occurring parasite on cats of all ages. Ticks occur predominantly in the bushy areas along the east coast of Australia during the warmer season. However, even cat parents living in suburbia can’t live happily as some animals have been found attacked by ticks without leaving their backyard.

Effect of Fleas and Ticks on Cats

Miliary Eczema:Reactions to flea bites vary in cats. While some cats are not found to be terribly affected and show just a little scratching, some others can develop allergic reactions with severe itching. The latter is known as miliary dermatitis or miliary eczema and is characterised by small crusty sores across a cat’s body, usually coupled with hair loss.

Flea Anaemia:If there are a lot of fleas on your cat’s body, he may lose blood to such an extent that he can become anaemic. Young kittens are especially susceptible to flea anaemia which can be fatal.

Tapeworms: Tapeworms are also spread in cats by fleas. They don’t cause any serious condition but can make the cat’s bottom itchy.

Effects of Ticks on Cats

Ticks are much more hazardous than fleas. While feeding on your cat’s blood, they inject a toxin in the cat’s body which causes paralysis and death. The first signs of this are a strange meow and weakness in hind legs. Paralysis progresses fast till he becomes unable to walk and eventually also becomes unable to breathe. When you see these signs, you should take him immediately toprofessional vet and get him treated.


While looking for anti-flea and anti-tick products for your cats, it’s extremely essential to use only those products that are safe for him. Never try a product designed for dogs on your cats, because they can be dangerous for him. You might want to visit https://gordonvet.com.au/paralysis-ticks-prevention-treatment for a complete prevention process.

When Fleas Become Dominant

If you see that your cat has been loaded with fleas and has also picked up a few ticks on the way, you will have to act fast.

You can control fleas by administering a nitenpyram tablet. This will kill fleas in 30 minutes and your cat will be totally free from fleas, even before you know it. For a longer lasting control, couple this with a topical treatment.

The fleas you can see on your cat are just 1% of your problem, with the rest 99% present in the form of eggs, larvae and pupae. It’s of no use until they are eradicated. Buy a can of insecticidal fogger or insecticidal spray which consists of an insect growth regulator. This will stop the immature fleas from turning into blood-sucking adults.

When Ticks Take Over

If you see a tick on your cat, remove it immediately with a pair of fine-tipped tweezers. Insert the tips of the tweezers carefully between the tick and the skin of the cat, and pull tightly. Don’t worry if its mouthparts are left in the cat’s skin. The cat’s body will treat them like a splinter and they will ultimately work their way out.

Danger to Humans

Both ticks and fleas can bite even humans and cause red itchy lumps on their skin. Humans too can develop paralysis due to a tick bite but this is very rare.

Keep Your Cat Free from Flea and Tick

Keeping your cat free from fleas and tick needs hard work but it’s absolutely essential so as to save your cat from ill health and discomfort. You can getbest flea and tick treatment cats at https://gordonvet.com.au. Get the treatment and let your cat enjoy a flea- and tick-free life.



About Author

Comments are closed.